Thursday, August 2, 2012

Summer craziness...

It's been a bit since I've updated. Things have been pretty busy here. Al and his dad finished haying early this year. That's a good thing. Many of the extra fields have played out and weren't putting up much grass. Rather than re-seeding someone's land who may not guarantee you cut again the following season, Al simply told them he had all he could handle. Our own fields put up good, thick hay thanks to some fertilizer that was put on earlier in the spring. It's all about maintenance.

The baby pigs are here! A good litter too. Mama sow proved ornery by escaping her farrowing crate several times. The crate is necessary to prevent her from flopping down and squishing her little ones. The bottom is open allowing them to come and go as needed to eat. Al moved her crate to the barn and secured the floor with ratchet straps to prevent her from sliding out. While that seems to be holding her, her little oinkers crawl under the partition between the stall and tackroom. More than once I've caught little piggies in my tack room and that doesn't make me happy. It's a tack room not a pig room! While they are cute, they don't like me picking them up, especially the black/white male I held. Wow are they loud! Little pigs do not like cuddles I've decided.

I feel bad for mama pig. With 8 babies to feed and all of them fighting and squealing all day... makes me glad I only have 3 kids! haha.  I swear I heard one piglet squealing... "Maaaa MAAAA!" while he was trying to get a spot. Good luck to her.


The guinea keets are now big enough and have been released into the chicken yard with the 2 adults and other birds. Hopefully they will learn where to roost to not be attacked by any predators.

In horse news, kids are riding and enjoying Dora especially. She's a bit green but she's gaining experience each ride and seems to generally enjoy attention. Blue is more standoffish and headshy. With more exposure and practice Dora will hopefully attend her first show with the kids next summer.

My riding has tapered off. Skyler needs his teeth floated and can't be ridden until they're done. Al has picked up extra hours at work and the funshow Aug. 11th will be out for us (no babysitter). Next show season should prove more fun with a pony in the mix and kids riding. Even though I haven't ridden much I enjoy leading the kids around and how they are bonding with Dora.

C even likes my old mare, Abby. She calls her "Mare".  "I like Mare, she don't bite me" She said. "I wanna ride Mare all by myself!".  Someday maybe she will.

Abby's colt Pilot says "Hi."

No comments:

Post a Comment