Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Abby the equine Diva

Some of you many already know or know of my first horse, Abby aka Dust of Honey in the show ring. She's a 15.2 hand sorrel Quarter Horse who also thought that she was human and that certain activities were "beneath her."

Abby had a strong set of likes and dislikes, that I found out not long after purchasing her at the age of 15. She was then an eight year old. She hated mud and water. She did not like cows. She was afraid of: bicycles, small children dressed in yellow outfits, umbrellas, turkey, deer, blue tarps, and mini horses (those evil horse-shrinking monsters!)

I could write countless Abby stories, but the one I will tell you about right now is her epic failure as a cow horse.

You see, when I made the decision to move to MN, I also made the choice that Abby would come with me. It was an inconvenient trip to PA and back hauling her home but, it was worth it to have my first (and then ONLY) horse here. Something familiar.

Abby had settled in and I wanted to show Al how athletic she was, you know to justify the trip and all. We were out on our front 40 field chasing cows and calves to be loaded and hauled to Alan's father's farm nearby. Alan was riding Trigger his trusty blue-eyed grey and white Appaloosa, while I was seated upon the Diva herself.

I remember, Al took off after a cow that had made a run for it. The others behind her took off the opposite direction. He yelled at me to go after them! I heeled Abby forward and she hesitantly went within about 20 feet of the cattle, but refused to get closer. I growled at her, I kicked with my heels, I clicked to her, nothing!

Finally I remembered a reverse psychology trick and turned the mare backwards and made her go towards the cows that way. Sure it wasn't very handy, but at least I wasn't letting her dictate where we were going (to the barn at a run if she had her way).

In the midst of my backing Abby towards the cows, Al continued to yell that the cattle were getting away. From the pickup in the field with us, I could hear Al's dad laughing. - I still get teased about my  backwards horse to this day.

photo of Abby taken at her personal stable at my home in PA.

No comments:

Post a Comment