Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Identity Confusion...

Last Saturday was another "funshow" for our saddle club. They're called fun shows because they do not count for year end points, you don't have to wear fancy show clothing and are typically smaller and more laid back in atmosphere. That's the beauty of a fun show, being relaxed enough to try a new event.

I woke up that morning about 7 a.m headed straight tot he barn and re-bathed Skyler. He not only had manure stains on his hindquarters but also managed to demolish the bottle of Cowboy Magic Green Spot remover I'd hung on the gate to his pen. Brilliant. No choice, bath it was.

Then it was time to get dressed and ready to go. I was riding in 2 English classes: equitation and pleasure and then gaming in the afternoon. Most of the other riders wore jeans for those classes so, rather than changing outfits I just opted to go western.

I put my green/tan plaid shirt by Panhandle Slim, Wrangler jeans, Ariat belt and Laredo boots. Wow, that was a change! Typically for any horseshow I'd be going in breeches, tall boots and a hunt coat. I felt kind of strange at first.

As the day went on I got more used to my new "look". By the end of it I decided I liked "western" and that it could work for me. Some of the outfits are pretty fun!

From the horse aspect of things: We placed 3rd in English pleasure and 1st in equitation. We had a bit of a larger turnout at this show and were a couple more people in English this time.  Skyler did really well and was trying to listen very hard. They even asked us to do a little pattern for the eq. class.

Then we did gaming: egg & spoon, pole weaving, key race and barrels.  I even got signed up for the surprise class which was called "The lemon pucker".  We had to run down and around a barrel then bite a lemon off a string hanging from a pole and ride back. Got 4th in that.

I did discover that Skyler's teeth were bothering him however. He reared at the gate. I checked him when I returned home and sure enough, sharp edges along his gums.  A trip to the vet is in order to have his teeth floated.

All-in-all it was a nice day out. Got to visit with horsepeople and ride. At first when I moved to this area I was kind of bummed at the lack of English and huntseat shows around, but now just maybe I'm learning to adapt...

No comments:

Post a Comment