Thursday, May 24, 2012

Breaking Steel

First off to clarify, Steel is a horse. A two year old Appaloosa colt to be exact. This post is not about welding, iron works or anything like that. However I did like the play-on words.

Al recommend we break and sell Steel soon so I figured I'd better get to work. At two, it's legal to train horses to ride, especially if you're a light weight rider and don't do anything to over-stress the joints. Steel seems pretty agreeable so I didn't think I'd have much trouble.

After two times lounging him he already learned to walk-trot and stop when I ask. He doesn't get spooked easily and when I lounged him with a saddle he did not react to it, which is awesome. Sometimes you'll get a nice set of crowhops out of a greenie with  a first saddle!

After our most recent lesson yesterday of lounging I took Steel back to the barn, tied him in the tie stall and proceeded to put weight on his back. He didn't mind when I bellied him so next I swung my leg over. I sat on him for about 5-10 minutes just petting and talking to him. His biggest aggravation was stomping at flies. Didn't mind me one bit.

I really enjoy working with young stock because you never know what they'll do. It's also rewarding to ride that horse or watch someone else ride and know that he learned all that because of you. Breaking a horse not only makes them employable and easier to find homes but, I also think they like having a job to do.

More updates and Steel photos to follow as his training progresses. Next is ground driving.

Steel is a 2010 homebred colt out of Doka Doll Fleet by Plaudits Black Ace


No comments:

Post a Comment