Wednesday, May 16, 2012

I want a pony...

No seriously I do, well not really for me, for the kids. Now I'm not about to trash talk our horses (Skyler or Trigger) but to be honest, they're well... Too big!  Try boosting a 4 year old up onto a nearly 15 hand high horse. Doesn't go well if you haven't got manly upper body strength let me tell ya.

Skyler is doing great leadline with R & C but I think it would be less intimidating for them to start riding on a pony. It's closer to the ground, makes sense to me. I learned to ride on a few great ponies at the lesson stable myself. I later worked my way up to horses. I think my kids should have the same experience.

Only problem: Al. Doesn't want a pony. Granted he wants to raise cattle, not horses anymore. Another mouth to feed wouldn't be good in his eyes. However: Ponies are smaller and eat less. Most are easy keepers and very hardy. I even asked R if he'd be more comfortable on a pony closer to the ground and he said "Yes". What more proof do we need? To a kid a horse must seem giant, even Skyler at 14.3.

I'm currently trying to get a lead on a good pony. We'll have to see what we can come up with here.


This guy would be perfect! 18 year old gelding broke to drive only 10hh.

No comments:

Post a Comment