Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Pony Hunting (not with weapons)

My last entry spoke of a desire to get the kids a pony. You know, something smaller to the ground, hundreds of pounds lighter and something less intimidating for them to learn to ride on? Well last week turned into an all out, full-scale pony hunt!

It started when Al decided to sell his mare Lady. We hadn't time to ride her and she would be of better use to someone else. That left room offically for a pony! So I started searching online for the perfect one. In my Googles I came across several prospects. A pair of mini geldings Smoky and Goliath, a pair of young Shetland mares, a pinto Welsh pony mare, and a paint Shetland gelding. But which one to get?

Al suprised me most of all when he suggested getting not one but TWO ponies. "Are you nuts?" I thought. I didn't think he'd want two of the buggars around since he'd like fewer horses around. His reasoning was simple: The kids would fight over one. True I thought. Two it was.

I had emailed and called a few people. Mainly on the two mini geldings but we concluded they'd be awful small. Golaith was 9 hands. The Shetland mares were unbroke. Breaking two would take quite a lot of time and I've already got Deuce & Steel (our appaloosa colts) to work with as priority. The Welsh mare sounded good. Has done leadline was 4, not a bad price but things turned out different.

We went to the horsesale on Saturday to sell Lady and scope out pony prospects. Al rode her in the ring and she went to an older fellow who is fans of her sire, Royal Contender. He wanted her for a broodmare. As for ponies there were about 10-12 there. Six minis, two shetlands, and one larger Morgan type.

The bidding started... We passed up one pony for $400. He was the first to come in the ring. Later on this lovely mini came in, a 4 year old grey/white paint. Said she was "broke to ride and drive" but was led in a halter... hmm....   Well I started bidding and got her for $240. Not bad!

C named her pony Dora :) 40" tall


I told Al all about my bargin and he said "Well there's a differnt story on her. I just talked to her owner and she came straight out of pasture and just had her first bath." That's pretty drastic from "Broke to ride and drive"!!!   Luckily, I'm in no hurry and can do plenty of groundwork with her. Never believe the auctioneer!

Sunday we set up an appointment to look at "Blue" a 4 year old paint Shetland who does leadline. We were to meet his owner in Crosby which was 1/2 way from her house and ours. I sent Al (to suprise the kids) and he brought him home.

Blue and R seemed to get along great! R led him in the barn up and down the aisle. At one point he tripped and dropped the lead. Blue stopped in his tracks, and dropped his head. That's a good pony right there. Turns out he's not 4 either, his teeth show 14. Guess I should remind Al to look in their mouth next time. We are still happy with what we paid for both ponies. The kids like brushing them everyday and with a lot of supervision they can become great little riders.

R's pony 42" tall





No comments:

Post a Comment