Thursday, April 12, 2012

Experiments in horse training

As "backyarders" it's a rather do-it-yourself operation in terms of horse training around here. Alan is completely self-taught and has had success breaking horses to ride and drive even training and selling for some other folks (before we had kids and got too busy). I had a more traditional background in horses coming from the riding stables back East where I took lessons frequently and rode huntseat. Between the two of us we've come up with a training philosophy that works for us and our horses. "Firm but Fair" basically.

My current mount Skyler is a 5 year old Appaloosa/Curly Horse gelding. I've had him since a weanling and broke him myself. Took him to his first local shows in 2010 where he proved he had the basics down. I'm now working on "finishing". My goal is to have a more supple horse who is rounded and on the bit and in the back as well. I'd also like to develop some western handling like spins, sidepass, and turn on the haunches.

While we don't have much time (with a farm and 3 small kids) to attend clinics or to send the horse out to be trained, there is one ace in the hole: YouTube! Ah, some great videos on there. I'm going to share them below.

This made a lot of sense to me. I love the idea of getting a horse to come into frame willingly rather than being forced. My goal is to have the horse moving stretching down while rounding his back as in Stage 1.

Sylvia Loch explains a bit more about a round back.


Demonstrating how groundwork is used to teach a horse suppleness and turns on the hind or forehand



This guy does an even better job showing how groundwork prepares a horse.



How to begin teaching a spin after you've done groundwork.


I'll be starting some groundwork techniques with Skyler and getting him to extend and stretch downward more during riding. Lots to work on.









No comments:

Post a Comment