Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Sorting & mud = Fun

A few days ago, Al decided the cattle needed to be given their pour-on ivermectin and that the cows and calves should be turned out to pasture and released from the smaller calving yard where they were kept for observation in case one needed help delivering.

Trying to get the cows into the barn isn't such a big deal. Most of them are pretty tame and would go right in to be put into pens and then run through the chute for medicines. The trouble was mostly the calves. I don't know if any of you have ever tried to herd calves, but it's like herding a bunch of deer. They take off and scatter, crashing through fence wire ducking wildly. Once the calves run, the cows usually follow their babies.

It was attempt no. 3 when I joined in. Al and his dad were not having luck. They'd get the cows about half way up the lane that led to the barn when they'd stop and push back out. I came up with another idea. Trot them in. With the two guys working either side, I hooped, hollered, growled and made all sorts of racket. The cows broke into a trot. I kept right after them and behind the barn they slowed to a quick walk. Cows went right in, calves split and went everyplace.Well, that was part of a victory. Only problem was, my boot had gotten stuck in about 2' of mud. Even pulling by hand I couldn't get it loose and- I was directly behind the barn door. If the cows came charging back out, I could be in real trouble.

I raised my purple sparkly dressage whip (which I use to herd cattle) in preparation to chase them around me should they come out of the barn. I thought to myself, I bet not many guys at the sales barns use sparkly dressage whips and then also that few dressage riders would use their whips on cattle. The thought made me chuckle. Meanwhile Al's dad came over and pulled my boot out. It was time to deal with the calves.

We tried to herd them back up same as cows, hoping they'd want to join their mamas in the barn. No luck. We tried cutting loose a cow and sending her back out to gather the calves so they'd follow her into the barn. Nope. Finally, Al had an idea. Go SLOW. Calves can't be worked like cattle they get scared too easy and run without thinking. We literally creeped up on them by inches waiting until each one was looking the correct direction, creeping more. Eventually we got them into the pens with their mama cows and everyone got their medicine and was turned onto pasture.

Cows are always an adventure. Never quite know what they're going to do. I'm still a greenhorn, but I'm learning. I at least have a concept of how to work them as before I'd just end up sending them the wrong way. Could've done without that mud though.

These lil buggars are fast!
(photo by dan routh photography)

No comments:

Post a Comment